Wednesday, November 25, 2015

In-Shower/Wet Skin Moisturizers

In-shower moisturizers were all the rave earlier this year.  I was so excited when they came out--it reminded me of one I had from Bath and Body Works over 10 years ago.  I don't even know remember what they were called, and they don't make them anymore, but thinking about them makes me nostalgic for high school.  Anyway, the concept of an in-shower moisturizer is to use it as your last step in the shower.  You put it on and rinse it off, much like you use a conditioner on your hair.  They are supposed to give enough moisture to your skin that you can skip lotion.  I tried two, both of which I will discuss below.

Just recently, the wet skin moisturizers made it into the spotlight.  The idea here is is to use it after you shower but before you dry off.  Like the in-shower moisturizers, this product is meant to replace lotion.  I have tried one variety and will review it in this post.

Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion



Nivea makes four varieties: hydrating, nourishing, smoothing, and cocoa butter.  I have only tried the nourishing one, which is meant for very dry skin.  In-shower moisturizers take some getting used to, as it is a new concept for most of us and leaves a film on the skin.  This one was semi-moisturizing, but if you have dry skin and live in a dry climate like I do, it won't be nearly enough (even though this is marketed towards very dry skin).  It had a nice, light floral scent and a consistency similar to a hair conditioner.  The instructions advise you to not put this on the bottom of your feet, and you do have to be very careful because it makes your tub slippery.  All in all, this one was ok.  I'd say it was my least favorite of everything in this post.  Since I've only tried one variety, I would consider trying the others sometime to see if I like them any better.  I found mine for $5.99 at Target, and you get 13.5 oz.

Aveeno Skin Relief Shower & Bath Oil



This is a product that has been around for a while and can be used either as an in-shower moisturizer or as a bath oil.  This product does not come in different scents or types.  The instructions advise you to shake it up before use.  As inferred from the name of the product, it has the consistency of an oil rather than a conditioner.  I found this one to be more moisturizing and better smelling than the Nivea lotion; it has a light almond scent.  Just like with the Nivea product, I never put this on the bottom of my feet, and I had to be careful to not slip in the tub.  I would recommend this oil over the nourishing variety of the Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion, and I would repurchase this.  I found mine for $7.79 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and you get 10 oz.

Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer



I saved the best for last--this is the product I'm currently using and is my favorite product of the three!  Jergens makes three varieties: refreshing coconut oil, calming green tea oil, and nourishing monoi oil.  The one I have (and the only one I've tried) is the coconut oil.  It doesn't really smell like coconut oil to me, but the scent is really nice and fresh.  It has a lotion/conditioner-like consistency.  Since you don't rinse this off, it doesn't make your bathtub slippery.  I have never put this on the bottom of my feet, but I think you could if you put socks on immediately after drying off.  After you apply it and pat dry, it feels a little oily but not bad.  The oily feeling gradually goes away throughout the day as the product absorbs into your skin.  I would recommend letting this absorb for about half an hour before putting on skinny jeans.  I find it to be more moisturizing than either of the in-shower moisturizers I tried.  I like this product a lot and really don't have anything bad to say about it!  I found mine for $6.99 at Target for 10 oz.

Overall, I like the idea of both of these types of products, but I think wet skin moisturizers are more effective and faster since you don't have to rinse them off.  You can use the wet skin moisturizer technique with baby oil, which I've tried before.  It works really well and leaves your skin very moisturized, but it does also leave it very oily.  It would be pretty hard to put on skinny jeans or leggings over baby oil.  The Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer is the perfect alternative because it's not as oily.  If you've tried any of these products (particularly any of the other varieties of the Nivea and Jergens), I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.  

Thank you for reading, and I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with love, laughter, and lots of turkey!  I have so much to be thankful for, including each and every one of you!!  I appreciate the fact that you take any time out of your day to read what I have to say more than you know.

Much love to all,
 photo a4b29d75-8d29-42de-b0b5-5faa7f59f9d3_zpse4a2d21e.jpg

No comments: